The Fair Work Commission have approved a 2.5% increase from July 1 for minimum wage
On 16 June 2021, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) approved a 2.5% increase in all Award rates for minimum wage. For some sectors which COVID-19 impacted the most, rate rises have been delayed for the second year running.
What’s the new minimum wage?
The new weekly minimum wage will be $772.60, or $20.33 an hour, up $18.80 per week.
When the new wage is coming into effect:
For most Awards, the new wage is coming into effect from 1 July 2021.
Increases to the Retail Award will not come into effect until 1 September 2021.
Employers in the following Awards will not come into effect until 1 November 2021:
- Air Pilots Award 2020
- Aircraft Cabin Crew Award 2020
- Airline Operations – Ground Staff Award 2020
- Airport Employees Award 2020
- Airservices Australia Enterprise Award 2016
- Alpine Resorts Award 2020
- Amusement, Events and Recreation Award 2020
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry Industry Award 2020
- Fitness Industry Award 2020
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020
- Live Performance Award 2020
- Mannequins and Models Award 2020
- Marine Tourism and Charter Vessels Award 2020
- Nursery Award 2020
- Racing Clubs Events Award 2020
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award 2020
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2020
- Restaurant Industry Award 2020
- Sporting Organisations Award 2020
- Travelling Shows Award 2020
- Wine Industry Award 2020
Actions for your business
We strongly recommend you take note of the Award increase dates relevant to your business and industry. Additionally, ensure your payroll system is updated with the correct rates.
We remind you the Superannuation Guarantee has also increased from 9.5% to 10% effective 1 July 2021.
Have questions about how this increase could impact your business? We’re here to help.
Call our HR Services Employer Assistance Hotline on 1300 135 822 or email email@example.com