The Queensland Government, through the Buy Queensland approach to government procurement, is committed to putting Queenslanders first whenever government procures goods and services.
On 31 May 2023, Buy Queensland 2023 was launched and represents the latest evolution of Buy Queensland. It has a firm focus on building on the achievements of Buy Queensland, supporting quality local jobs, boosting the economy across the regions and the State, and leaving a lasting positive legacy for current and future generations of Queenslanders.
Buy Queensland 2023 is comprised of the Queensland Procurement Strategy 2023 — Jobs, Economy, Legacy, Confidence (QPS 2023) and Queensland Procurement Policy 2023 (QPP 2023). The QPS 2023 and the QPP 2023 have been streamlined, continue to apply to all government agencies, and came into effect on 1 June 2023.
With a firm focus on building on the achievements of Buy Queensland, Buy Queensland 2023 is about stewarding the Queensland Government’s significant procurement investment to support quality local jobs, boost the economy across the regions and the State, and leave a lasting positive legacy for current and future generations of Queenslanders.
Buy Queensland 2023 reflects the government’s ongoing commitment to support and grow business – small, medium and large, and create jobs for Queenslanders. It continues its support for small and medium enterprises (SMEs), with a target of 30 per cent of Queensland Government procurement spend by value with SMEs retained.
Doing business with government will be made quicker and easier with simplification and streamlining of invitation and contract documentation. The Local Benefits Test has been simplified, with a focus on local workforces and a minimum evaluation weighting of 10%. The Queensland Government is also ensuring a level playing field, by doing business with ethical suppliers.
In the lead up to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, streamlining the procurement process will make it easier for government buyers to support local businesses. It will also make it easier for suppliers to do business with the Queensland Government.
For more information, please visit the Buy Queensland website to peruse the QPS 2023 and QPP 2023, and access a range of supporting resources including the Buy Queensland 2023 Supplier Quick Reference guide.
I look forward to working with you as we roll out Buy Queensland 2023.
Buy Queensland 2023 – key changes
- Buy Queensland 2023 commences on 1 June 2023 and will be applied by all government agencies.
- Buy Queensland 2023 makes it easier for suppliers by:
- Continuing to support quality, local jobs by applying a local benefits approach to all procurement, and simplifying the Local Benefits Test, with a minimum weighting of 10% for significant procurement, and a focus on local workforces
- Building a capable and competitive Queensland manufacturing sector, boosting local content and managing risk for critical supply chains, through declaring Supply Chains of State Significance
- Doing business with ethical suppliers, and ensuring a level playing field through our compliance activities
- Enhancing quality and timeliness of information posted on the Forward Procurement Pipeline
- Producing an action plan for making it easier to tender for government work through collaboration between key government and industry stakeholder groups
- Requiring buyers to offer debriefs to all suppliers for all tenders, to assist suppliers to improve their chances of winning future contracts
- Requiring buyers to use plain language and only include relevant information in tendering and contractual documents
- Streamlining and consolidating requirements. This means you will spend less time responding to different requirements, reducing your administrative burden and getting you back to running your business
- Buy Queensland 2023 supports a pipeline of opportunities for Queenslanders in the lead up to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and decarbonising the economy.
- Refer to the Buy Queensland 2023 Supplier Quick Reference Guide for information on key changes.
In preparation for the commencement of Buy Queensland 2023, you should:
- Familiarise yourself with the QPS 2023, QPP 2023 and associated guidance materials including the Buy Queensland 2023 Supplier Quick Reference Guide – access these through the Buy Queensland website.
- Register with the supplier mailing list – in addition to receiving regular updates on changes to procurement practices as part of Buy Queensland 2023, invitations to attend a supplier-focused online webinar on Buy Queensland 2023 will be sent to those individuals on this list.
- Contact Queensland Government Procurement, Department of Energy and Public Works for any further questions on Buy Queensland 2023 via telephone (13 QGOV or 13 74 68).
Registration details for the upcoming Buy Queensland webinars will be available soon.
Buy Queensland 2023 resources
Queensland Procurement Strategy 2023 – Jobs, Economy, Legacy, Confidence
The QPS 2023 sets out the outcomes and strategic objectives of Queensland Government procurement to harness our significant procurement power to deliver:
- more quality, local jobs
- a thriving, resilient and decarbonised economy
- responsible intergenerational value for Queenslanders
- increased trust in procurement.
Queensland Procurement Policy 2023
The QPP 2023 sets out how to achieve the outcomes and strategic objectives of Queensland Government procurement. It replaces the Queensland Procurement Policy 2021, should be read in conjunction with the QPS 2023 and outlines the six principles underpinning government procurement:
- Achieve value for money
- Apply a responsible public procurement approach
- Behave ethically, and embed integrity, probity and accountability
- Be leaders in procurement practice
- Collaborate for more effective outcomes
- Support strong governance and planning.
Buy Queensland 2023 Supplier Quick Reference Guide
The Buy Queensland 2023 Supplier Quick Reference Guide provides suppliers with an ‘at-a-glance’ view of key changes from Buy Queensland 2023, associated with benefits and tips to prepare for roll out.